OVLR Challenge Crossword No. 99-1, January, 1999
Following 1998's successful Atlantic British Parts successful Challenge Crossword , Atlantic British again decided to sponsor this competition. The rules are simple. Send in you completed Crossword Puzzle to the Editor, c/o OVLR, POB 36055, 1318 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4V3. The person with the highest number of correct answers will win a US$200 gift certificate from Atlantic British Parts of Mechanicsville, New York. Second place wins US$100.00 and Third place gets US$50. Sadly, only members of OVLR are eligible for a prize!
There are two ways to play -
- Print this page, or
- Play on-line or off with the Across Lite program.
Click here to download Across Lite. This is a one-time download and a simple, two-minute install. Enjoy interactive crossword puzzles on-line or off.
1. Briefly, item incorporating red line (4)
3. Wheel cylinder component (5,5)
9. Non-metric measurement system (8)
10. Components in windshield wiper system (6)
12. Adjective for over-heated brake linings (6)
13. The fix-all wonder material (4,4)
15. Use a special protector for this item (4)
16. Lubricant for a Fairey overdrive (4,3)
20. Check depth before doing this (7)
21. Land Rover's 127" ____ Cab model (4)
25. Type of glycol in cooling system anti-freeze (8)
26. A shaft in a manual transmission (6)
28. C.B. necessity in Brit-speak (6)
29. Tire brand with two initials (8)
30. This may be coil, leaf, air, etc. (10)
31. Briefly, these are measured by the 1 ACROSS item (4)
1. Party location for "Desperate Dale" (4,4)
2. Posh gizmo in a Range Rover (1,1,6)
4. Carburetion condition (4)
5. This fastener is a first cousin of the cotterpin (5,3)
6. Briefly, item which determines coolant pressure (3,3)
7. Lightweight was designed to be carried under this (6)
8. U.K off-road venue: ____ lane (5)
11. Half of "D.C." (7)
14. This "rod" is consumed quickly when in use (7)
17. Safety item on a serious off-road vehicle (4,4)
18. Lubricant comprised of carbon particles (8)
19. Some of these are real "rockers" (8)
22. One type of the 19 DOWN item (pl.) (6)
23. Briefly, certain electrical system faults (6)
24. Tubular valve train component (5)
27. Equestrian sport once seen at the British Invasion (4)
Note: While some of the clues may seem obscure, there are none that cannot be answered if you have read recent editions of the monthly newsletter. All of the "club specific" answers appear somewhere! In addition to OVLR's crosswords, Murray Jackson creates the Motor-Cross automotive crossword puzzle and the Motor Mania automotive pop quiz. These features cover all things automotive including old & new car models, automotive history, service & repair terminology, TV & movie cars and automotive personalities. Murray's features are published in the weekly automotive sections of a growing number of Canadian and U.S. newspapers. Previously-published features can be enjoyed in the Games Room at www.canadiandriver.com. These features are updated weekly so return often to test your automotive knowledge.
Click here for information about adding Motor-Cross or Motor Mania to your publication or to purchase Motor-Cross ~ Volume 1, a compilation of Motor-Cross crosswords.